Glue it Tuesday: Printmaking Color Tests

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 in Pattern, Sketchbook | 13 Comments

DaringHue-com_Printmaking2_Project1_ColorTests

Good morning! I’m joining in Glue it Tuesday this week with some color tests for my printmaking class. I created a few linoleum blocks with simple textures, and my plan is to tear them all up and sew them back together for the final project. I brought the blocks home with me, and worked on some color tests tonight. I’m not thrilled with this color combination yet, but I do like seeing the simple textures next to each other in different colors. I was trying out burnishing with my hands (placing paper over the linoleum and rubbing), and really liked how personal it made the process feel, as opposed to using the press. I can see the areas where I pressed very hard, and those I backed off of a bit.

DaringHue-com_Printmaking2_Project1(1)

These are the prints I made on the press on Saturday. This chartreuse color is one of my favorites, and I am always happy when I work with it. I can’t wait to get started cutting up and assembling these prints back together.

Sometimes it’s hard to feel okay writing about color and sketchbooks after a day like yesterday. I initially felt a tinge of guilt even working on my prints last night. I think the only thing I can figure out to do is to try to be more grateful, continue to do the things that make me come alive, and try to do more good in the world. I’m grateful for this space, for being able to share the things that make me happy, and for the encouragement from you, my lovely readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

13 Comments

1. Lynn Fisher
    April 16, 2013

Gorgeous colors. This reminds me so much of design school and the ENDLESS color swatches we made. So glad you are putting them to good use!
    Lynn

2. Lynn Fisher
    April 16, 2013

Also.., yes, it feels weird to express something that seems meaningless in the big picture when something so awful has happened, but that is exactly it. We need to express our joy in the small things. Who knows about tomorrow.
    XXO
    Lynn

3. aimee
    April 16, 2013

this pattern is signature you, totally and completely — whenever I see it I automatically think “daring hue”! my fave is the green :)

4. Andria
    April 16, 2013

Your vertical line texture is really appealing. I agree with your closing sentiment that the best thing we can do is to live in gratitude, doing what makes us feel alive, seeking to do good. Well said.

5. Karyna @ Paper Squid
    April 16, 2013

This is awesome! I love block printing and I’m loving your patterns. It’s cool to know that when you place the paper on the block it’s called “burnishing”…little things. Never took a class on this but it seems like it would be very fun. Interested to see how these come together when you tear and sew them back up. Very nice.

-Karyna

6. Deb
    April 16, 2013

I don’t understand what happened yesterday either. But I think you should go on doing things that make you and others happy. That’s what the marathoners were doing, and all those people greeting them at the finish line. {:-Deb

7. Rhonda H (rhoz)
    April 16, 2013

Those are great colors! I And I love the patterns! love the Glue it Tuesday idea… I think I will join in!

8. Rinda
    April 17, 2013

Really enjoyed seeing your work.
    Happy Glue It Tuesday!
    Rinda

9. Ros
    April 17, 2013

I love your prints and I think it is important to choose JOY and more importantly not to feel guilty doing so. We cannot let those who are evil take everything.

10. Fran T
    April 17, 2013

love love love. this makes my day because green is my favorite color and to see all those patterns in my one fav color….so great! Good stuff! Fran Txo
    Thanks for posting a comment on my blog, so nice of you!

11. Cheryl~TheStylishStudio
    April 18, 2013

Chartreuse is my favorite color but I never find that word when I want to tell someone. I always say lime or peridot. Thanks for the color lesson. Good luck with your printmaking!

12. Natasha
    April 20, 2013

It made me feel flippant posting about creating this week as well. I am glad you posted. Love the simple designs and textures. Chartreuse is one of my favourite happy making colours as well.

13. uncustomary
    April 30, 2013

Love the olive colored prints!