Printmaking: Project #1

DaringHue-com_Printmaking_Project1(1)

Printmaking project #1 is complete! Our objective was to create a print that had a good balance of white and black. For class on Saturday, I need to turn in six of my best prints. I laid all of the prints on my bed tonight to whittle it down to the best six (out of fifteen).

I spent about two hours last Saturday making these prints on the press in class. I had done a couple of test prints on newsprint, and then finally decided to jump in with the good paper (Rives BFK). I think I am learning that the key to doing this is to wash your hands all the time. I ruined a couple of my best prints with thumbprints, and I definitely don’t want to repeat that again. It’s also a challenge printing during class because there is only one press, and over twenty students.

DaringHue-com_Printmaking_Project1(2)

Pictured above is the best print. For this image, I was inspired by Google Maps. I stitched together two screenshots from Visalia, CA to get the geometric design. I really wanted to play around with texture and learning how to carve on the linoleum block, so I made up a lot of the designs by finding different ways to use the carving tools.

DaringHue-com_Printmaking_Project1(3)

This is sort of dorky to admit, but it was super fun to sign all of the prints. I felt like a real artist when they were all signed. My hands were shaking because I only have six prints that I feel comfortable turning in for the grade, and I was afraid my hand would slip while I was signing them. For my own reference, here’s a link to an article on how to sign art prints.

My next project is a reduction print. I’m doing another geometric pattern using lime green, turquoise or dark blue and black. I’ll post some pictures of the print as I do each layer for my next printmaking update.

Comments 6

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.